Skip to main content

Loss

I suppose we must grieve a little. Not only for the collective disaster that is happening globally, or the ugliness of humanity, or the looming unsustainability of climate change, or the destruction of equilibrium on this planet. Some more direct sadness in the deaths of 2nd degree connections, the stories of business destroyed, livelihood impaired. The direct and indirect way that everything in this planet is interconnected, in such intimate and profound ways beyond our understanding.

I have not let myself feel the loss of Tango as deeply to process it. But herein lies the pain of losing an outlet that meant so much to me, that continues to hold sway over my imagination, that continues again and again to be my kryptonite.

15 months since my last milonga. 15 months since the last embraces of friends, partners, buddies. In a way, it captures exactly the pain of the world, of lost connections and the ability to be in each others presence without the looming fear of worry and the potential of a lightning strike.

I had a chat with a close tango friend of mine recently about what she felt about the dance now, she made the observation that Tango without the ability to truly let go, to be transported to another time, space and memory, was not a Tango that she believed she would enjoy. I daresay I do agree.

There is going to be some collective trauma that needs to be overcome, not only in the personal judgement of the safety of the dance, but also in what it means to each of us personally moving forward. Shall we lapse back into the judgemental, divisive nature and negativity that Tango can sometimes reach? Or will we truly heal and improve ourselves in the ways that make us remember over and over again how this dance asks from us to be the best version of ourselves possible on the floor.

Will I be changed when I step back on the dance floor again?
Will I rediscover the beauty of being a novice?
Will I reset my patterns and old habits?

All I can wish for, is to be honest. To remember this time as it is, encapsulated. To hope that this is the last stretch of the race back to humanity.

I miss you my old friend. My lover. My torment. My passion. My sanity.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2020

Ah 2020. You have been upended in the most ridiculous way possible by a virus that has destroyed every single activity we do for fun, leisure, pleasure, necessity, survival. Because, humans. Was so looking forward to a year of dancing starting with the Taiwan Valentine's Tango Marathon, leading into STM v5, London, Portugal and maybe BA by the end of the year. Guess what! ALL GONE, DESTROYED. It has been a year since I went to a marathon/event. I am probably the saddest I have been when it comes to the dance front. 11 years ago I made it such a part of my identity that it has accompanied me through the years of visiting different cities for work, for holiday, for weddings, for connections, for reunions with exes, for meeting new interests. Shaped my 20's like nothing else has and only grows stronger year after year. 2020 was the reset required. Mentally, emotionally. This relationship with Tango remains my strongest and most developed of my many relationships with many a...

Malaysia Prelims & Tango Festival - Musings

Off the back of a weekend that required me to leave work early and sleep cray hours to finally get back into a semi-human mode of work and sleep. Thoughts? When I first started tango, I jumped straight into a Fire & Ice festival in Ann Arbor January of 2010. That was my first taste of a tango festival which was relatively social and a good scene in hindsight. Coming back to Malaysia I've participated in the KL Festival every single year, Singapore festival twice, Taiwan festival once (24 hour on a whim - fuck it all flight), Shanghai festival once. Other than that the flavour of the day nowadays is definitely geared more toward marathons/encuentros, and for a good reason. Festivals in this part of the world are seriously so tipped toward a certain "type" that it is far more worth my money and sanity to go for the social dancing rather than the festival format. Granted, lessons were good, always learning, picking up new things. Competition was, so-so for me, was...

Simple

After the countless videos, watching the performances by passing Tango teachers, performances by stage Tango dancers, sitting and absorbing Milongas, the one couple that sticks in my mind has to be T and his fiance who met through Tango in Argentina. Their seamless blending, the fact that she didn't even need to be wearing shoes and their swapping of roles. Even though I was exposed to this early on the clueless beginnings of Tango, you could already appreciate the intimacy between the two. In hindsight after a bit more experience, it becomes even clearer that, that would be the ultimate Tango experience. It's like staring at something without the tools to understand it, then later when you come back with the tools in hand, it hits you, "ah hah!" that's what it is! It's like being told, "this will be useful in life later, trust me", and staring at math sets that have no correlation with your life, until later when you're facing a job assessme...