Skip to main content

**** me back

Interesting analogy albeit a bit crude. But that's really it isn't it? Finding the voice of the follower in a very male led dance.

http://alextangofuego.blogspot.sg/2007/09/fuck-me-back.html

The longer I develop in it, the more I see parallels. Tango reminds me much of the cycle of life, we start out totally dependent on someone, find our own footing and grounding and then revert back to the basics once again.

Sitting in a table with family, at twelve o clock sat the senior ladies chattering about old times and anything and everything and at six o clock sat the under 10's, playing rock paper scissors and making a racket. There we were, somewhere in between, literally and figuratively.

Flashback to the two leads I had, one a complete mess, footwork all over the place, charting his own territory (in a not very good way) and obviously he could be dancing with a puppet the way he was dancing. I didn't need to be there. The other, strong, powerful, musical, but the moment you do not realise where your follower is, is the moment that you are only dancing for yourself. Nicely. But still, you might as well be that same guy charting his own territory (in a not very good way)

A challenge? Yes, but I have come to the point where I know my own limitations and what I can and cannot do. But aren't we always continually doubting ourselves? I do wonder sometimes when faced with challenges and a lead that is more advanced, or 'harder to follow' whether it is just me, whether I'm the one who just cannot handle his level. The stronger he is, the more my flaws start manifesting themselves and the more I trip or end up kicking him, or in this case, ending the molinete beyond his foot =P. But as the years pass and as I put in my own homework and miles on the floor, so do I realise that the best leaders aren't the ones who have the nicest or the best moves. It's the one who can wrap his dance around you like hot chocolate on a winters night, comforting, soothing. Home.

So I ponder, do I rise to the challenge, or accept that sometimes you click, sometimes you don't. Sometimes the magic happens, and sometimes you're left with the nagging voice at the back telling you, you're a disaster. Or he's a disaster. Or your feet hurt. Or the music sucks. Any excuse.

Times like these call for a deep breath, a smile, and the gratitude to always, try, try again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2020

Ah 2020. You have been upended in the most ridiculous way possible by a virus that has destroyed every single activity we do for fun, leisure, pleasure, necessity, survival. Because, humans. Was so looking forward to a year of dancing starting with the Taiwan Valentine's Tango Marathon, leading into STM v5, London, Portugal and maybe BA by the end of the year. Guess what! ALL GONE, DESTROYED. It has been a year since I went to a marathon/event. I am probably the saddest I have been when it comes to the dance front. 11 years ago I made it such a part of my identity that it has accompanied me through the years of visiting different cities for work, for holiday, for weddings, for connections, for reunions with exes, for meeting new interests. Shaped my 20's like nothing else has and only grows stronger year after year. 2020 was the reset required. Mentally, emotionally. This relationship with Tango remains my strongest and most developed of my many relationships with many a...

Malaysia Prelims & Tango Festival - Musings

Off the back of a weekend that required me to leave work early and sleep cray hours to finally get back into a semi-human mode of work and sleep. Thoughts? When I first started tango, I jumped straight into a Fire & Ice festival in Ann Arbor January of 2010. That was my first taste of a tango festival which was relatively social and a good scene in hindsight. Coming back to Malaysia I've participated in the KL Festival every single year, Singapore festival twice, Taiwan festival once (24 hour on a whim - fuck it all flight), Shanghai festival once. Other than that the flavour of the day nowadays is definitely geared more toward marathons/encuentros, and for a good reason. Festivals in this part of the world are seriously so tipped toward a certain "type" that it is far more worth my money and sanity to go for the social dancing rather than the festival format. Granted, lessons were good, always learning, picking up new things. Competition was, so-so for me, was...

Loss

I suppose we must grieve a little. Not only for the collective disaster that is happening globally, or the ugliness of humanity, or the looming unsustainability of climate change, or the destruction of equilibrium on this planet. Some more direct sadness in the deaths of 2nd degree connections, the stories of business destroyed, livelihood impaired. The direct and indirect way that everything in this planet is interconnected, in such intimate and profound ways beyond our understanding. I have not let myself feel the loss of Tango as deeply to process it. But herein lies the pain of losing an outlet that meant so much to me, that continues to hold sway over my imagination, that continues again and again to be my kryptonite. 15 months since my last milonga. 15 months since the last embraces of friends, partners, buddies. In a way, it captures exactly the pain of the world, of lost connections and the ability to be in each others presence without the looming fear of worry and the pote...