Skip to main content

Rejection

I don't think anyone likes rejection. Apparently rejection creates the same level of pain akin to being physical. Lord knows we face PLENTY of rejection on the floor, whether it be manifested in the shirking of a glance, or in the outright, no to the face for the poor soul who decided to verbalise their intent and invite.

There's a bit of learning curve or trial by fire that everyone needs to go through when facing Tango, especially in the baby years. It's the moment where you're left literally collecting dust in the corner, being overlooked and craving the invites of those dancers, oh so much more advanced than you. Especially as a follow who's role is to accept and not to initiate anyway.

I still remember one occasion in A2 where it was an open practica in Mason Hall. We literally sat there for 3 hours not getting any dances until I had the gall to walk over to the instructor to ask for a dance. One measly dance.

In hindsight super embarassing and super against etiquette but really, how's a beginner supposed to improve without some help? Yes you have your fellow beginners in class where you're mutually willing to help each other with the dancing, but to really know how a move is being done properly and being done in a way that serves to highlight that it is actually your weaknesses being manifested, you need a more experienced partner.

This is where the big debate happens. How much does rejection really mean rejection in a way that is irreparable? I've had leads tell me that rejection to them once means rejection forever. I tend to also err on the side of, if I don't want to dance with you, I likely won't go through the niceties of greeting you with air kisses and small talk. Perhaps, more reflective of my own personality more than anything else. Not one to deal with non-genuine interactions. I am also of the school of thought that rejection isn't nice and to spare you the pain of rejection, I will therefore avoid you first.

Also, how many rejections means, no, I don't ever want to dance with you. I guess this is why the cabaceo works, because it allows an unspoken silence to hang in the air and also the hope that tomorrow, that person will dance with me.

There are a few things that would make me never want to dance with someone again though - arrogance, lack of awareness and a complete lack of respect for the music. Stop moving when the music stops, I implore you!

Maybe sometimes you get tired trying to improve the world and rather the world sort itself out before it involves you again...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stages

It's funny how I often think of topics to write at moments where I have nothing to write them on, which results in me typing a one-liner in my sms column as a trigger which later when I go back to refer to tends to make absolutely no sense to me! But yes anyway, Tango stages! 1) You have entirely NO idea what the hell the dance is about and walking seems like the most impossible thing to do. You jump up and down inside when you finally manage 5 meters w/o crashing into each other and are elated when the instructor comes over and leads you in a way that you actually feel like you know what you doing. You go away completely and utterly motivated to want to know more. 2) Basics are handed to you, ochos! impossible things! Molinete's! wtf, my legs can do that....omg leader why are you a beginner too! 3)Sacadas and ganchos and all the other good stuff. Now we're talking. 4)After getting to know the community and everyone around (obviously Tango isn't just a dance,

My Tango Diaries: Lesson with Alejandro Gée and his partner, Joujou

My Tango Diaries: Lesson with Alejandro Gée and his partner, Joujou : From Alejandro Gée's studio - more pictures and info from his website here: http://tangoalejandrogee.com/ The Lesson with Alejan... 1.) Sink into the standing knee first instead of stepping/falling straight back into the back step. (I've heard that before - not sure why I can't seem to remember to do that.) According to Alejandro, basically the sequence would be: 1. Sink the weight into the floor through the standing leg (here’s where the knee bends slightly in order to be able to push the weight of the body back in the next step), while straight,   free leg extends backwards   caressing the floor with no weight on it and torso reaches towards the partner.   The standing hip is strong and grounded, the free hip is relaxed and opening backwards as a natural continuation of the leg. The knee is straight. 2.   Weight transfer: heel of the leg extended backwards goes into the floor and the sam

Bring me Back

It has been a while since I have managed to bring myself back toward elements of beginning stages. Back to the days in tiled Union lobbies with an exasperated ponytailed guy telling me to shut my eyes and just feel. To stop fighting the lead and to surrender. What does it mean to be a good dancer? I sometimes think we are so caught up within this dance that we do not utilise everything else outside of it to inform our progress. Metaphors and imagery resonate so much stronger than describing a step ever will. What does it mean to be a good speaker then? Is it necessary to be Oprah before we deem ourselves worthy of the title? Hardly! Then why is it that we expect to dance like Rojas, like Hurtado, or any other headlining name? Maybe because Tango is so accessible, so fundamental in nature, like walking, that we believe we can partake in it, and expect to at a very high level. Truth is, it really does require training, it requires years of dedication much like ballet, gymnastic, yog