Skip to main content

Cheat

I tried something new last night and went for Kizomba, after watching it a couple of times and with the encouragement of a new salsa - convert friend, I crossed over to the dark side. *gulp*.

It was kinda fun, also completely disorientating to take everything that Tango tells you NOT to do and amp it up about 10x. One things for sure I get very confused having to swing my hips in a regular direction, and also the energy transfer is much more independent than it is in Tango where you're so reliant on the guy to tell you where to go and for him to be sure of where you are in return.

The heartbeat and the use of newer music overlaid with that pulse is definitely interesting. One thing I can see is how this dance attracts so many more guys than Tango does, there is a far more raw intimacy that borders on full on sexuality, coupled with the rolling that is expected.

Interesting.

I have said though that I cannot take on any more new activities, Tango will always be my drug of choice and even attempting to try another dance feels like I'm completely not being true to myself. The other annoying thing is the fact that when I pick something I want to stick with it, or not at all, hence the intense periods where I throw myself into an activity and then the intense periods where I don't...there isn't an in-between for me really, and some activities stick far longer ala Tango and get deep under my skin.

What this HAS taught me though, is to re-approach Tango again from the viewpoint of someone who is completely clueless. There HAS to be a sequence when you teach beginners classes because you always need to start somewhere. Yes, people do discover as they learn (in a very zen like manner) that "to do nothing is to do something", but there's no way you'll discover it until you learn the words that allow you to form sentences which lead to paragraphs and eventually dissertations. Which revert back to Haiku's and acronyms at the end of the day.

Yup, back to being clueless in a dance! What a strange feeling!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2020

Ah 2020. You have been upended in the most ridiculous way possible by a virus that has destroyed every single activity we do for fun, leisure, pleasure, necessity, survival. Because, humans. Was so looking forward to a year of dancing starting with the Taiwan Valentine's Tango Marathon, leading into STM v5, London, Portugal and maybe BA by the end of the year. Guess what! ALL GONE, DESTROYED. It has been a year since I went to a marathon/event. I am probably the saddest I have been when it comes to the dance front. 11 years ago I made it such a part of my identity that it has accompanied me through the years of visiting different cities for work, for holiday, for weddings, for connections, for reunions with exes, for meeting new interests. Shaped my 20's like nothing else has and only grows stronger year after year. 2020 was the reset required. Mentally, emotionally. This relationship with Tango remains my strongest and most developed of my many relationships with many a...

Malaysia Prelims & Tango Festival - Musings

Off the back of a weekend that required me to leave work early and sleep cray hours to finally get back into a semi-human mode of work and sleep. Thoughts? When I first started tango, I jumped straight into a Fire & Ice festival in Ann Arbor January of 2010. That was my first taste of a tango festival which was relatively social and a good scene in hindsight. Coming back to Malaysia I've participated in the KL Festival every single year, Singapore festival twice, Taiwan festival once (24 hour on a whim - fuck it all flight), Shanghai festival once. Other than that the flavour of the day nowadays is definitely geared more toward marathons/encuentros, and for a good reason. Festivals in this part of the world are seriously so tipped toward a certain "type" that it is far more worth my money and sanity to go for the social dancing rather than the festival format. Granted, lessons were good, always learning, picking up new things. Competition was, so-so for me, was...

The Unselfish Lead

Been putting on the hat of a leader over this past week and enjoying it even more. Yeah I have no idea how to do giros or sacadas, and don't talk about ganchos either, but what I've figured is that as long as musicality is there, as long as connection exists, both parties enjoy it. This has made me wonder about something though-I always thought that leaders were having all the fun at the start-in the sense that the steps that are taken in this dance are dependent on the leaders to have trained and learnt them-as a follower you can follow even if you don't know much about what you are doing, as long as the leader does. All the classes then seem to be about the leader's steps. But then I've also come to realise that, as a leader, you are expected to craft the dance to understand the steps through the viewpoint of the lady, and maybe this is where many teachers don't emphasize enough. That every step you take, you have to realise what signals you are giving ou...