Skip to main content

Music Mania

Decided to do a list of all time favourite tango songs (which are slowly but surely growing! Seem to have a favourite one every week):

Bahia Blanca-Di Sarli
Danzarin-Troilo
Vida Mia-Fresado
El Panuelito-Pugliese
A La Gran Muneca-Canaro
El Choclo-Tango Libre
To Tango Tis Nefelis-Haris Alexiou
A Evaristo Carriego-Pugliese


I have a penchant for dramatic orchestral violin sweeps, oh and rubato, and heavy "chunky" down-bows

Siempre igual es el camino 
que ilumina y dora el sol... 
Si parece que el destino 
mas lo alarga 
para mi dolor. 
Y este verde suelo, 
donde crece el cardo 
lejos toca el cielo 
cerca de mi amor... 
Y de cuando en cuando un nido 
para que lo envidie yo. 
Vida mia, 
lejos mas te quiero. 
Vida mia, 
piensa en mi regreso. 
Se que el oro 
no tendra tus besos, 
y es por eso que te quiero mas. 
Vida mia, 
hasta apuro el aliento 
acercando el momento 
de acariciar 
felicidad. 
Sos mi vida 
y quisiera llevarte 
a mi lado prendida 
y asi ahogar 
mi soledad. 
Ya parece que la huella 
va perdiendo su color 
y saliendo las estrellas 
dan al cielo 
todo su esplendor. 
Y de poco a poco 
luces que titilan 
dan severo tono 
mientras huye el sol. 
De esas luces que yo veo 
ella una la encendio.


Always the same is the road 
that illuminates and gilds the sun... 
It seems as if destiny 
extends it even more 
for my pain.  And this green ground, 
where the thistle grows 
afar touches the sky 
near my love... 
And from time to time a nest 
so that I may envy it. 
Life of mine, 
from afar I love you more. 
Life of mine, 
think about my return. 
I know that gold 
will not have your kisses, 
and that is why I love you even more. 
Life of mine, 
I even hurry up my breath 
shortening the moment 
for caressing 
happiness. 
You are my life 
and I wish to carry you 
fastened to my side 
and thus drown 
my solitude. 
It seems already that the track 
is losing its color 
and the appearing stars 
give the sky 
all of its splendor. 
And little by little 
lights that flicker 
give a somber tone 
while the sun flees. 
Of those lights I see 
she lit up one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stages

It's funny how I often think of topics to write at moments where I have nothing to write them on, which results in me typing a one-liner in my sms column as a trigger which later when I go back to refer to tends to make absolutely no sense to me! But yes anyway, Tango stages! 1) You have entirely NO idea what the hell the dance is about and walking seems like the most impossible thing to do. You jump up and down inside when you finally manage 5 meters w/o crashing into each other and are elated when the instructor comes over and leads you in a way that you actually feel like you know what you doing. You go away completely and utterly motivated to want to know more. 2) Basics are handed to you, ochos! impossible things! Molinete's! wtf, my legs can do that....omg leader why are you a beginner too! 3)Sacadas and ganchos and all the other good stuff. Now we're talking. 4)After getting to know the community and everyone around (obviously Tango isn't just a dance,

Bring me Back

It has been a while since I have managed to bring myself back toward elements of beginning stages. Back to the days in tiled Union lobbies with an exasperated ponytailed guy telling me to shut my eyes and just feel. To stop fighting the lead and to surrender. What does it mean to be a good dancer? I sometimes think we are so caught up within this dance that we do not utilise everything else outside of it to inform our progress. Metaphors and imagery resonate so much stronger than describing a step ever will. What does it mean to be a good speaker then? Is it necessary to be Oprah before we deem ourselves worthy of the title? Hardly! Then why is it that we expect to dance like Rojas, like Hurtado, or any other headlining name? Maybe because Tango is so accessible, so fundamental in nature, like walking, that we believe we can partake in it, and expect to at a very high level. Truth is, it really does require training, it requires years of dedication much like ballet, gymnastic, yog

My Tango Diaries: Lesson with Alejandro Gée and his partner, Joujou

My Tango Diaries: Lesson with Alejandro Gée and his partner, Joujou : From Alejandro Gée's studio - more pictures and info from his website here: http://tangoalejandrogee.com/ The Lesson with Alejan... 1.) Sink into the standing knee first instead of stepping/falling straight back into the back step. (I've heard that before - not sure why I can't seem to remember to do that.) According to Alejandro, basically the sequence would be: 1. Sink the weight into the floor through the standing leg (here’s where the knee bends slightly in order to be able to push the weight of the body back in the next step), while straight,   free leg extends backwards   caressing the floor with no weight on it and torso reaches towards the partner.   The standing hip is strong and grounded, the free hip is relaxed and opening backwards as a natural continuation of the leg. The knee is straight. 2.   Weight transfer: heel of the leg extended backwards goes into the floor and the sam