Skip to main content

Musicality

In relation to Christina's post below, one of the hardest and perhaps most addictive thing about tango is the very apparent lack of structure in the way we dance to a song. Every song and dance is different with a different partner at a different time. It's almost impossible to know what you will be doing next in a tanda, much less prepare yourself for it. Which is probably why more experienced dancers never cease to remind me to not anticipate what they are planning to do next.

Part of the equation for this is musicality and i find that in trying to keep up with the moves my partner is trying to make me perform and being extremely aware of how sometimes, how very badly i perform it, i tend to forget to listen to the music. Tango for me right now is more about being able to move into the right steps rather than moving seamlessly with the music. Which is a shame really because when i am listening to the music and when i am less concentrated on trying to do an ocho cortado correctly, i dance better, i move better. Which i suspect is more or less the intent of tango: To capture the essence of a song in the fluid movements of spontaneous dancing.

The other part of the equation is just plain trust. There is a need for me as a follower to believe that my partner will not lead me into an error. As a beginner, i have found it difficult to completely disassociate my mind from my physical movements and place my faith in the person leading me through a song. There is still some fear that i will be a bad follower in a song so i must think about how i should place my feet in such and such order. Which is probably the worst habit one can pick up in this dance because, well, you obviously can't plan for it. When i was first starting out, when the only steps i knew were basic walking, ochos and the molinete, when my expectations of myself were lower, i think my instinct as a follower on the dance floor was better. Now that i'm constantly worried about whether i would know how to do a boleo or a gancho given a proper lead into it, i find that my mind refuses to shut down when i'm dancing.

Sigh. Less anticipation, more balance! Less thinking, more feeling!

If there are things that i should master from Argentine Tango before leaving the community here in Ann Arbor, it should be musicality and spontaneity. Now, when's the next practica that i can go to?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stages

It's funny how I often think of topics to write at moments where I have nothing to write them on, which results in me typing a one-liner in my sms column as a trigger which later when I go back to refer to tends to make absolutely no sense to me! But yes anyway, Tango stages! 1) You have entirely NO idea what the hell the dance is about and walking seems like the most impossible thing to do. You jump up and down inside when you finally manage 5 meters w/o crashing into each other and are elated when the instructor comes over and leads you in a way that you actually feel like you know what you doing. You go away completely and utterly motivated to want to know more. 2) Basics are handed to you, ochos! impossible things! Molinete's! wtf, my legs can do that....omg leader why are you a beginner too! 3)Sacadas and ganchos and all the other good stuff. Now we're talking. 4)After getting to know the community and everyone around (obviously Tango isn't just a dance,

Bring me Back

It has been a while since I have managed to bring myself back toward elements of beginning stages. Back to the days in tiled Union lobbies with an exasperated ponytailed guy telling me to shut my eyes and just feel. To stop fighting the lead and to surrender. What does it mean to be a good dancer? I sometimes think we are so caught up within this dance that we do not utilise everything else outside of it to inform our progress. Metaphors and imagery resonate so much stronger than describing a step ever will. What does it mean to be a good speaker then? Is it necessary to be Oprah before we deem ourselves worthy of the title? Hardly! Then why is it that we expect to dance like Rojas, like Hurtado, or any other headlining name? Maybe because Tango is so accessible, so fundamental in nature, like walking, that we believe we can partake in it, and expect to at a very high level. Truth is, it really does require training, it requires years of dedication much like ballet, gymnastic, yog

Tango oh Tango

I love you, I hate you, you make my feet hurt like shit and you give me so many bloody insecurities and bruised big toes I might as well hide in a corner and never emerge. I'll never conquer you and I'll spend my whole life (and too much money) trying to perfect you, before realizing what I needed was the very thing I started off with, but am slowly losing...rawness. I live you, I breathe you, you  brought  me in touch with so many people and a couple that are unforgettable...that's what you are. Maybe you'll end up being my bridge, my connector, in fact, you already are, to myself, to friends, to lovers, to memories, to a past to living in moments suspended together, to jealousy, envy, pride, embarassment, to futures and foreign places. To big old santa claus guys proclaiming tango as heroin, to musty May nights in Triangulo missing someone, to 24 hour flights and 4 day festivals, to reconnecting as never before, to La Cumparsitas x 10, to barefoot Tango in kitchen