Skip to main content

A game

I'd like to play a game.

It begins in a room with the meeting of eyes, an extension of the hands for an invite. A mute acceptance. A man and a woman.

The music begins, cascading landscape of the violins with the growling baritone notes of a piano. Two strangers join hands in the middle of a crowded dancefloor, embrazo. There is a momentary pause, the calm before the storm. The violins strain as in tandem, the strong pizzicato and legs sweep across the floor, first in one direction than in another.

The first blush of meeting, the tentative start. Slowly, a comfortable niche forms. He pauses testing the waters, moves with more assurance.

He questions, "Do you trust?"
She responds, giving him  the reply he needs. "I surrender".

Syncopated beats fill the movements, a build-up, an explosion of emotions. Molinete, Sacadas, Boleos, Ochos. The violins begin their descent, rubato.  An assertion of chords.  A chorus of orchestral voices, the chromatic trend of the piano echoed by the strings. A call, a response.

The sweep, a single note wavering in the vibrating air, humming. Suspended. The soloist takes over, drawing his bow, a lush, dominant movement across the strings pushing its way to the forefront of the orchestral arrangement. A sudden rush, a twist of the hips, an energy pulses. The end is near, straining movements, the swell of instruments as each furiously hurdles to the finish line. She feels her pulse quicken, entwined, they move as one.

Then the finale, a swoosh and a gentle settling of bodies.

It is after all, a game.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2020

Ah 2020. You have been upended in the most ridiculous way possible by a virus that has destroyed every single activity we do for fun, leisure, pleasure, necessity, survival. Because, humans. Was so looking forward to a year of dancing starting with the Taiwan Valentine's Tango Marathon, leading into STM v5, London, Portugal and maybe BA by the end of the year. Guess what! ALL GONE, DESTROYED. It has been a year since I went to a marathon/event. I am probably the saddest I have been when it comes to the dance front. 11 years ago I made it such a part of my identity that it has accompanied me through the years of visiting different cities for work, for holiday, for weddings, for connections, for reunions with exes, for meeting new interests. Shaped my 20's like nothing else has and only grows stronger year after year. 2020 was the reset required. Mentally, emotionally. This relationship with Tango remains my strongest and most developed of my many relationships with many a...

Malaysia Prelims & Tango Festival - Musings

Off the back of a weekend that required me to leave work early and sleep cray hours to finally get back into a semi-human mode of work and sleep. Thoughts? When I first started tango, I jumped straight into a Fire & Ice festival in Ann Arbor January of 2010. That was my first taste of a tango festival which was relatively social and a good scene in hindsight. Coming back to Malaysia I've participated in the KL Festival every single year, Singapore festival twice, Taiwan festival once (24 hour on a whim - fuck it all flight), Shanghai festival once. Other than that the flavour of the day nowadays is definitely geared more toward marathons/encuentros, and for a good reason. Festivals in this part of the world are seriously so tipped toward a certain "type" that it is far more worth my money and sanity to go for the social dancing rather than the festival format. Granted, lessons were good, always learning, picking up new things. Competition was, so-so for me, was...

The Unselfish Lead

Been putting on the hat of a leader over this past week and enjoying it even more. Yeah I have no idea how to do giros or sacadas, and don't talk about ganchos either, but what I've figured is that as long as musicality is there, as long as connection exists, both parties enjoy it. This has made me wonder about something though-I always thought that leaders were having all the fun at the start-in the sense that the steps that are taken in this dance are dependent on the leaders to have trained and learnt them-as a follower you can follow even if you don't know much about what you are doing, as long as the leader does. All the classes then seem to be about the leader's steps. But then I've also come to realise that, as a leader, you are expected to craft the dance to understand the steps through the viewpoint of the lady, and maybe this is where many teachers don't emphasize enough. That every step you take, you have to realise what signals you are giving ou...